Tuesday 26 May 2009

SharePoint (Web) hosting using Silverlight Contents

Dear Geeks,

I Was doing some trial and error using SharePoint and Silverlight for some project management tracking(Those finding I will write later), Once I installed the Silverlight content there is nothing displaying on the screen. On my client browser I installed Silverlight plug-in (I was expecting the content to be appeared) no luck. Then I started digging into it, I found Microsoft has released a KB article for this for IIS 6, I found this very useful.


1st Steps


Open the IIS Microsoft Management Console (MMC), right-click the local computer name, and then click Properties.


Click MIME Types.

Click New.


In the Extension box, type the file name extension that you want (for example, .pdb).


In the MIME Type box, type application/octet-stream.


Apply the new settings. Note that you must restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service or wait for the worker process to recycle for the changes to take effect. In this example, IIS now serves files with the .pdb extension.


2nd Step


Open the IIS Microsoft Management Console (MMC), right-click the local computer name, and then click Properties.


Click MIME Types.


Click New.


In the Extension box, type an asterisk (*).


In the MIME Type box, type application/octet-stream.

Apply the new settings. Note that you must restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service or wait for the worker process to recycle for the changes to take effect.

For your reference see the KB pasted below


After applying the Mime content type everything started displaying fine.


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326965 IIS 6


http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725608.aspx IIS 7


here is the screen shot








No comments:

Post a Comment